Saturday, March 28, 2009

Warriors Lose Jackson for Season

The Warriors top scorer and team leader, Stephen Jackson, will likely miss the remainder of the 2008/09 NBA season with a toe injury. Jackson joins fellow starters Andris Biedrins, Jamal Crawford and Corey Maggette on the growing list of injured Warriors. Crawford is on his way back and should suit up any night now, but the others are likely finished for the year. Not that it really changes a whole lot, as the Warriors aren't going to the playoffs and are playing for draft position at this point. In fact, it's almost a blessing in disguise if you ask me. Now instead of watching the veterans play out the year, we get to see what some of the youngsters can actually do over the last 10 games here. It means more playing time for the Anthony's (Randolph and Morrow) as well as Brandan Wright. It's too bad Marco Bellinelli is hurting because he would be getting ample time to prove himself right now as well.

Now, not all of these guys have guaranteed futures with the Warriors. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see someone like Bellinelli dealt this summer in order to obtain help in other areas (true starting power forward or natural point guard). The one guy who I hope plays his tail off over these last few weeks and increases his value is Brandan Wright.

I have never been a big fan of Wright, and while I understood the logic in dealing Jason Richardson at that point in time (they had Jackson, Ellis and Baron Davis all under contract), they could have gotten a helluva a lot more than Brandan Wright if you ask me. I guess Mully and Nelly thought they'd be getting themselves the second coming of Antawn Jamison, but Wright has looked like a back-up forward at best. Not that I've completely given up on Wright as a player, he's 22 years old and has plenty of time to become a decent basketball player, but I don't see him ever being as valuable to the Warriors as J-Rich was. Anthony Randolph clearly has more talent and upside if you ask me and if the Warriors could somehow use Wright to better their draft position, I'd be all for it.

No comments: